Sunday, August 13, 2017

My challenges in IUP

Boy did I go through some hurdles in IUP. First, it was the accent. I remember rushing to my 8.00am math 107 class, when a nice looking student stopped me to ask for a direction. When I gave her the direction, she told me I speak good English. Goodness! I didn’t know if that was supposed to be a compliment or a shade. Being that I was rushing to class, I couldn’t ask her to explain herself.  Then comes, the fashion. During my time in school, my friends, fellow student and some of my professors knew me for my sense of style. I was always fond of looking nice no matter what. In fact, I love fashion so much that one day, I dolled up for yet another 8.00am English class that didn’t go well. This is because I dash into the classroom my first day of class all dressed up with full makeup on, only to see my fellow student in their sweat pants and hoodies and a professor with coffee in his hand. I was so embarrassed. However, that didn’t stop me. But it was a challenge for me because on several occasions’ ignorant students had stopped me and compliment me with questions like, do you guys dress like this in Africa? Please guess my answer.

           Another challenge for me was the food. Indiana Pennsylvania is such a small city that there is no way possible for an African girl like me to get a hold of her local delicacy. So I had no choice but to eat American food. No offense Americans, you guys have no food. I eat some much burger that I became even more grateful that I worked at the gym as front desk person. Ugh!

The last challenge I faced in IUP was money. You all know that when money is the problem you are screwed. It was a struggle for me for so many reasons. I don’t want to get into that. However, I am grateful that I graduated top of my class. Just want to mention that even with all these embarrassing challenges, I loved my time in IUP and will most likely go back again soon.🙋

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...