Monday, August 28, 2017

The problem with having all girls in African household

Image result for african female child


You can agree with me that some traditions in Africa are ancient and needs to be abolished. One of this tradition is treating a girl child as a second class citizen as opposed to the male child. In African, female child is not widely accepted as the ideal child especially if she is the only child of a family. You know what, I thought by now some of these ignorance traditions has been replaced with modern way of life and thinking. But no. I was surprised to see that even here in America, having a female child as an African among other Africans still put one beneath a mother with a male child.

Here is a scenario when such tradition was practiced here in America. When I had my first child, my beautiful daughter, I was overwhelmed. I was grateful that God chose me to be a mother. However, my joy was tainted by some African women, whom on several occasions asked me how I felt having a girl as my first child. Stupid question right? They even asked me how my mother in-law felt when I told her I had a female child. Another question was “how did your husband feel about your baby girl?” Mind you I was still in my early stage of motherhood. I didn’t know what gender God was going to give to me as children. However, my thought then was any gender he gives me I am happy with it. So to see those women asked and treat me like a second class citizen because I had my first child and she was a girl was sad. Sad in the sense that, most of these women were supposedly label as educated women. So how come the judgement. It was during my astonishment that I realized that women are the only gender that judge their kind harshly. I think I might emphasis more on this topic later.

 But for now, my advice for my fellow women is to stand up for one another. Do not allow what men/tradition think of you to over shadow your way of thinking. Let’s look at it this way, if you a woman that mocks another woman for having only a female child for her husband that means you have accepted the notion that you as a woman is useless. I say this because if you are not proud and happy that someone gave birth to a female child then you should be ashamed of yourself. Common these men have psychologically twisted your mind to make you believe that you are less of a human than them. Hence, why you ignorantly forget that shaming a woman with a female child is as good as shaming yourself because you are a female.  Final word, African woman with alpha male child, please go back to your drawing board. Something is missing.  Therefore, if you join they traditional African male to point one finger at your fellow woman, remember that the rest of the fingers are pointing back at you.


Thanks
I am humble.
Photo credit: Pixabay

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...